Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My first night back at school

So I had my first class tonight. It was actually quite boring and made me feel old. First I want to point out that I didn't say I WAS old just that I FEEL old.

So the class is Elementary Statistics that somehow I got all the way through my Associates Degree in Speech and my Bachelors Degree in Accounting without taking. Of course it sounds scary because when I was in school everyone complained about how hard statistics was. Brad suggested I read through the first two chapters before class since the class is only once a week and you know they are going to cover at least chapter one that night. So last night I sat down and went through the first two chapters. I even went so far as to write notes (basically an outline of everything important in the chapters) and do the example and self test problems. Honestly I didn't really struggle with the material. I had to re-read some things a couple of times but in the end it wasn't anything I didn't already know just with a different label attached to it.

So tonight I go to class and sit down. Of course I'm like 20 minutes early so like a total geek I just sit in there waiting for class to start. In my defense there were already 3 other people in there before me so I'm not the biggest dweeb. Then I proceed to sit there. People came in but nobody sat by me until they absolutely had to. In a class of 45 people eventually one would have to. Of course the one that did looks like he should be in High School not College. Hence the I feel old part. Then I proceed to sit through a class that is SO slow moving you would think we were all idiots. Of course after the class was over the teacher let slip to me that there were at least two people in the class this time that it is the third time taking it! This isn't even the hard statistics class it's the ELEMENTARY class.

Oh well it wasn't all boring I especially liked the part where my instructor spoke about drinking more beer and smoking pot :rolleyes: Seriously?! Of course it was all in the name of statistical analysis but seriously do you have to use that in order for the students to understand the concept. So it wasn't all boring and I'm sure it will get more interesting...right. :)

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! I'm jealous. I've been talking about going back for my MFA for years. I hope the class gets more interesting. At least you know the material isn't going to be too challenging.

    I have to know...where do you get your backgrounds for your blog? They are the cutest I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like the backgrounds :) Actually I made them myself using the software Scrapbookmax. You can find info on it at www.scrapbookmax.com The graphics right not I got from scrapbookflair.com and the graphics for the previous one was from the scrapbookmax.com digital kits store they were graphics by Michelle McCoy that I bought there. :)

    ReplyDelete