Things have gone good since Christmas. Lego Boy has taken his medicine everyday and is even to the point he gives it to himself. I'm so proud of him! Friday we worked while Lego Boy got to play with his cousins. That night we had Christmas with the immediate family. It was nice. A good dinner and then opening presents. Lego Boy got a lot of clothes from Brad's mom and dad which is great because he's been growing out of the Sunday clothes we had for him.
Our niece dog received a chew toy which she immediately demolished. It was great! There was stuffing from the toy all over the house! She apparently really liked her toy.Saturday we went out and saw the Tale of Desperaux. I'm really not sure I spelled Desperaux right but oh well I'm an accountant not an English teacher. We liked it. I had a roommate in Salt Lake (you know who you are) that if I remember correctly she would read this book to the kids she taught. I've always meant to read it but have never gotten around to it. Now that I've seen the movie you know I'm going to have to read it.
Speaking of reading for Christmas Lego Boy gave me Twilight (Brad picked it out for him to give to me). I started reading it that night and finished it last night. The only other books I've been able to read like that are the Harry Potter books and the Work and the Glory series. I really enjoyed Twilight so now I'll have to go see the movie so that I can hate it as much as everyone else that liked the book ;)
As I was reading it I thought about what it is about the vampire mythos that is so attractive to us as readers. Why is it that good people are so obsessed with someone on the "dark side" who wants to be good. Then it hit me. Our obsession is because it is just like us. Just as the vampire's basic instinct is to do things we consider deplorable our basic instinct as humans is to sin. Is that not the reason why we are here on this Earth to learn to control our bodies, our basic instincts, and follow the will of the Lord instead of our own will.
In fact it doesn't matter which religion you look at just about all of them are based on the principle that we are flawed and we must work to be better. I think that is why we identify with the struggle that Edward goes through. We all struggle to suppress some type of bad within us but we want to choose good and we work hard at becoming better at being good.
I truly think it is that underlying struggle that makes the story so easy to relate to. At least for me it was. Honestly I didn't expect much from the book, I had never read anything by Meyer before and the movie previews were kinda...meh that looks...interesting. But she's a great writer. Not only could I identify with the struggle that Edward goes through but the struggle Bella has in wanting to be "bad" with him while being good. So many deep levels to look at it.
I'm excited to read the next book. I suppose I'll have to swing by the bookstore tomorrow and use the gift card we got for Christmas. I mean seriously I've been waiting to borrow these from the library and they're too popular right now to get them with any frequency. Either way I enjoyed the book and I would actually recommend it.

Yes! Read the book. I haven't seen the movie yet, but hope it lives up to the book!
ReplyDelete