Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Twas the Night Before Christmas...

What a calm relaxing day it's been for me. Brad had to work until 1pm but I had the whole day off. I got up, played a little Rock Band, cleaned the kitchen, did some glass etching, made sour cream enchiladas for lunch, and then when Brad got home we ate and went to a movie. We went and saw Australia which was a good movie. I cried a bit :) Then we came home, played some Rock Band, ate dinner (left over enchiladas) and played a board game. Now Brad is doing the dishes and we're getting ready to head to bed in a while. With Lego Boy being at his mom's until tomorrow morning we've had Christmas all set and ready to go under the tree and in his stocking for days now.

I was thinking tonight about different holiday traditions. One thing came to mind and that was the reading of the Christmas Story. If any of you have seen the Shrek the Halls movie you know that part of what the book tells him to do for Christmas is to read the Christmas Story. So at the end he reads Twas the Night Before Christmas. I wonder how many people there are out there tonight reading that story to their children and I wonder how many of those will pull out there Bible and read their children the real story of Christmas.

When you ask people what the meaning of Christmas is how often do you hear love, peace, joy, good will, harmony, or perhaps even Christmas is about spending time with family. Really all those things are in a way true because love, peace, joy, good will, and harmony come from the source of Christmas. Jesus Christ our Savior. Not only do those things come from him but because of his sacrifice and his plan I can be with my family forever and that is why Christmas is about family for me. The knowledge that we can be together forever. This is why tomorrow we will be taking time with Lego Boy and reading from the scriptures and explaining to him that it's not about the presents he got except for one. The gift of God's son to save him and all of us.

I'm not saying that other Christmas traditions are bad by any means but I hope that your house is filled with the true meaning of Christmas tomorrow. May God bless us all to know that his Son lives! He lives who once was dead! Joy and peace to you on this wonderful Christmas Eve!

No comments:

Post a Comment